Prescribing ALLO Products
* The below information is directed to healthcare practitioners and not for consumer. Please discuss the use of NVP products with your general practitioner.
ALLO products are available in the below nicotine strength and format:
ALLO SYNC Pod System
12 Flavours and 2 nicotine strengths (20mg/ml & 50mg/ml)
ALLO Ultra 1600 Disposable
12 Flavours and 1 nicotine strength (50mg/ml)
ALLO SYNC and Ultra containing 50mg/ml is intended for people who:
- smoke daily
- report that they are dependent on cigarettes, and
- have tried and failed to quit previously using pharmacotherapy.
Dosage and Self-titration
The bioavailability of the nicotine in ALLO Sync & Ultra depends on the patient’s usage behaviour.
As with any NVP product, user behaviour and experience level will determine the total nicotine delivered.
Due to the rapid delivery of nicotine, accurate and sufficient self-titration should be possible for most patients.
All evidence shows that user experience is the single most defining factor in an NVP user’s ability to gain a cigarette-like nicotine PK profile from the technology.
With ALLO products, the learning curve should be lower, and the following instructions will help patients to lower it still:
- Ensure you take a sufficient length of puff ( 1-3 seconds) and inhale deeply.
- If you find you are still craving after two puffs with a 20-second interval between them, on a third puff, try holding your breath for 4 or 5 seconds before exhaling.
- Try to take no more than ten puffs per hour.
- If you find you are taking more than this, try taking longer puffs (but no more than 3 seconds) and vary the inhalation depth and the length of time before exhaling.
- While starting on NVPs, it is essential to use them every day. If you can’t substitute completely immediately, aim to replace specific cigarettes, such as the day’s first cigarette and increase the substitution over time.
Initial prescription - ALLO SYNC
Patients should be provided with a prescription for three months’ supply of ALLO Sync Pods (see below) as the consultation determines.
- 10 x 3-packs at one pod per day initial prescription with 3 x repeats; and
- Maximum one pod per day.
Initial prescription - ALLO Ultra
Patients should be provided with a prescription for three months’ supply of ALLO Ultra Devices (see below) as the consultation determines.
- 10 x Ultra devices at one device per 3 days initial prescription with 3 x repeats; and
- Maximum 10 devices per month.
Example Script ALLO SYNC & ALLO Ultra 1600
During the follow-up consultation (recommended for three months after the initial consultation), clinicians should ask patients about the number of cartridges they consume per day and adjust, as necessary, the number of ALLO Pods/devices prescribed subsequently.
ALLO SYNC & Ultra
ALLO NVP products have sensory characteristics that should be tolerable for most people who smoke.
For patients who cannot tolerate 50mg/ml ALLO NVP, the lower 20mg/ml ALLO NVP may be appropriate.
However, clinicians should bear the following in mind:
- Research shows that lower concentrations of nicotine in cartridge systems do not deliver the same subjective positive effects. For new users, this may cause a failure to adhere to treatment.
- Since smokers self-titrate, there may be insufficient nicotine in one cartridge for patients to maintain craving relief throughout the day, with the attendant risk of relapse.
Before prescribing lower nicotine strength (20mg/ml) ALLO SYNC to a recently initiated user, it is advisable to see if they have tried using an alternative flavour, as this may enable them to tolerate the 50mg/ml nicotine strength
ALLO SYNC vs ALLO Ultra
The key difference between the ALLO SYNC & ALLO Ultra is the mechanism of delivery and the simplicity of use.
ALLO Ultra disposable device can be used directly upon opening and don't require charging and pod replacement.
ALLO SYNC pod system is rechargeable and pod replacement is simple for the user.